My husband Lorenzo and I started our farm journey once he retired from the US…
Farmhouse Kitchen Recipe: Honey Ricotta Toast with Cherry Compote
This breakfast toast will make you feel like your at a luxurious restaurant without the price tag. This is a perfect breakfast treat for your family on Valentines ~ enjoyed by both adults and kids alike. The sweet and sour cherries over the creamy ricotta and crunchy sourdough makes for a texture explosion in your mouth!
Honey Ricotta Toast with Cherry Compote
4 slices of sourdough toast
8oz of fresh ricotta
4 teaspoons of honey
1 Pound cherries (jarred, fresh, or frozen)
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 dried sour cherries
1 drop pure almond extract
dash of cinnamon
1 tablespoon corn starch
**optional 1 tsp lemon zest
1. Stem and pit the cherries. Put them in a large saucepan and stir in sugar and cinnamon. Turn the heat to medium, cover, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring them frequently, to encourage juicing and to make sure the liquid the cherries exude doesn’t foam up and overflow.
2. After 10 minutes of cooking, add the sour cherries, if using, and cook for 5 to 10 more minutes, until the cherries are wilted and completely cooked through.
3. Remove from heat and stir in almond extract. The juices will thicken as the compote sits.
4. Toast sourdough Toast
4. Evenly spread ricotta on four slices of sourdough toast
5. Drizzle with honey
6. Place cherry compote on top
7. Top with candied walnuts or crushed pistachios